The library is looking for a creative and energetic person to join our team as a Children’s Specialist. This is a hands-on job that requires lots of people skills, learning how to use a constantly-evolving set of print and technological tools, and keeping up with trends in literature and library activities for children.
This is a part-time, hourly position. The hours are:
Tuesday 9 AM – 6 PM
Wednesday 9 AM – 6 PM
Occasional Saturdays 9 AM – 1 PM
Hours may be flexible, but two full days (9AM-6PM) are required.
This position will:
- Assist customers in discovering, locating, and using the library’s physical and digital resources;
- Assist patrons with basic functions of public PCs and with printing, copying, scanning, and faxing;
- Plan and implement regular library activities for children, including WEEKLY STORY TIMES, visits to schools and childcare programs, working collaboratively to organize the Summer Reading Program; and after school/Friday activities;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Required skills & experience:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to read and perform alphabetic and numeric sorting and filing;
- Ability to comfortably use computers for email, MS Office, and navigating the Internet;
- Ability to learn and demonstrate library’s automated systems and self-service tools on library computers and personal devices (e.g. mobile phones, tablets, personal computers);
- Experience working with children or young people;
- Driver’s license and personal vehicle for transportation to schools and childcare facilities;
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
This job regularly requires stooping, bending and light lifting such as three or four reams of paper, five to ten books, or other materials up to 20 pounds. This job occasionally requires lifting moderately heavy items (up to 40 pounds) such as boxes of books or pushing heavy (up to 100 pounds) wheeled carts full of books. During the Summer Reading Program, some events may require being outdoors in hot weather.
Please deliver the following documents. They may be dropped off in person during regular library hours, mailed, or emailed to email@example.com
- Required: Résumé detailing work history and relevant skills
- Required: Supplemental Questions
- Optional: Cover Letter
Applications will be accepted until Saturday, October 13th.
If you have any questions about this job posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org