Rules & Responsibilities for Users:
- User must have a valid library card in good standing.
- Computer sessions are limited to one (1) hour if other patrons are waiting.
- Users are limited to a total of two (2) sessions per day.
User agrees that inappropriate conduct may result in loss of computer and/or library privileges.
Although the following list is not exhaustive, “inappropriate conduct” may include:
- Any use which violates federal, state, or local law.
- Transmitting threatening, obscene, or harassing materials.
- Representing oneself as another person.
- Interfering with or disrupting network services, equipment, or other users.
- Installation, deletion, or modification of hardware or software.
- Creating, accessing, or viewing materials that are sexually explicit.
- Other behaviors as identified by library staff as being damaging to library equipment or other users.
As required by law, all library Internet is filtered in compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act. The library uses a technology protection measure (or “Internet filter”) on all computers with Internet access. It is used to assist in preventing access to sites which violate Oklahoma State Statutes Title 21, §1021 and Title 21, §§ 1040.75-21-1040.80, otherwise known as “harmful to minors law.”
As required by the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA), Pub. L. No. 106-554 and 47 USC 254(h), blocking is applied to visual depictions of materials deemed obscene or child pornography or to any material deemed harmful to or inappropriate for minors (as those terms are defined in the U.S. Code).
The library may also use the filter to block certain categories of sites for the protection of the network and PCs (for example sites that use malicious code to “hijack” a computer’s settings or install spyware).